Avenza Maps allows you to create, import and export a variety of map features to suit your needs - whether that be professional or recreational.
Map features can be:
- GPS Tracks
Map features can be seen and fully managed from within the Map View, or from the Layers tab.
Viewing Map Features from the Map View
With a map open, to see all map features, tap the Map Features icon. This will now display a list of all the layers and features linked with that map. Map features exist in one layer by default. This means that areas, lines, placemarks, and tracks will all exist in the same layer and are no longer divided based on the feature type. The “Active” marker indicates that it is the current layer - any additional map features (areas, lines, placemarks, or tracks) added to the map are placed on that layer.
The information icon circled in red in the center screenshot opens the Edit Layer page where you can link the layer to other maps, lock the layer, set default styling and change the layer name. This is also where you would go to set a different layer as your active layer.
Viewing Map Features from the Layers tab
From the Layers tab (accessible from the Maps List, Map Store or Settings tabs), you can see all the layers and features that are contained within Avenza Maps. In addition to seeing which layers and features you have, this tab also allows you to see what map(s) if any, the layer and features are linked to.
In addition to viewing map features from the Map View or Layers, there are several additional actions you can take to manage your data:
- Import Map Features - allows you to choose the source location of the file, import schema only, as well as link the layer to a specific map on import
- Export Map Features - allows you to choose the format and destination for export, as well as options to export specific layers, or all layers at once
- Add Layer - allows you to create a blank data layer for future data collection or organization purposes
- Search Map Features or Layers - allows you to find a specific feature or layer
- Edit/Delete Map Features or Layers - allows you to rename, change symbology/styling, add attributes, and change the active layer