Users can access and manage Map Features using the Map View or the Layers tab. This article will look at editing Map Features specifically from within the Map View. For details on how to edit features and layers from the Layers tab, please see the article here.
Besides viewing features, users are able to:
- Import Map Features - allows you to choose the source location of the file, import schema only, as well as link the layer to a specific map on import
- Export Map Features - allows you to choose the format and destination for export, as well as options to export specific layers, or all layers at once
- Add Layer - allows you to create a blank data layer for future data collection or organization purposes
- Search Map Features or Layers - allows you to find a specific feature or layer
- Edit/Delete Map Features or Layers - allows you to move, rename, change symbology/styling, add attributes, change the active layer (available from the Map View only), and link/unlink the layer to/from additional maps
Importing and Exporting Layers
From the Map Features list, users will see import and export icons in the lower right corner. When accessed from the Map Features list, importing and exporting will only access layers associated with that specific map.
For more information on importing and exporting features, please see the related topics links at the end of this article.
Searching Map Features
To search for specific map features or a layer, users can use the search bar located at the top of the Map Features list. From there, users can search the feature, layer, or map name to locate them quickly and efficiently.
From the Map Features list, users will see an Edit menu. Tapping this option will allow users to Add a Layer, Move Features, Delete Features, as well as edit/view feature/layer information.
Add a Layer
To add a blank data layer from the Map Features list:
- Tap Edit
- Tap the 'Add Layer' icon
- Tap the 'i' icon
- Rename the layer as desired
Moving a map feature or layer
To move a map feature or entire layer to another layer:
- Tap Edit
- Select the Feature/Layer(s) you wish to move
- Tap the Move icon.
- In the layer tree, tap the layer you would like to move the feature(s) to
- You will be asked if you want the destination layer's styles to be applied to the new features
- If you select Yes, the features will be moved and will take on the new styling of the destination layer
- If you select No, the features will be moved but will keep their original styling
Note: This layer, by default, will not be the active layer for data collection. To specify which layer to be the active layer, please see 'Editing Layers' below.
Deleting a map feature or layer
When deleting features from the Map View, you will be asked to confirm if you want to delete the feature/layer completely, or simply unlink it from the map. If unlinking from the map, the features will still be available on the Layers tab. If deleting permanently, the features will no longer be available. When deleting from the Layers tab, the features are deleted permanently.
To delete/unlink a map feature or layer:
- Tap Edit
- Select the feature/layer(s) you wish to delete or unlink
- Tap Delete.
- In the warning message, tap Unlink or Delete.
From within the Map Features list (accessible through the Map View), users can select existing Map Layers to link to the map.
Editing Map Features or Layers
This section details all the editing options available for both map features and layers. Some options are only available from within the Map Features list and will be emphasized as required.
Editing individual map features
To edit/view map feature details directly from the Map View, please see the steps below:
- Open the map that has the feature(s) you wish to see
- Tap on the feature on the Map View to show the feature label (or alternatively, go to Map Features > Select the Layer that contains the feature > Tap the feature)
- Tap the 'i' icon on the feature label to display the feature details
To edit layers from the Layers tab:
- Open the Layers tab
- Tap Edit
- Select the 'i' icon next to the desired layer
Editing options available
Once you access the Edit Placemark dialog, there are several options available to you. Some options are editable, while others are for information purposes only. The list below details the options available, as well as whether you can edit it or not.
- Location (only editable/viewable from the Map Features list)
Adjust layer visibility
To adjust Layer visibility (on or off) from within the Map Features list only:
- Open the desired map
- Tap on Map Features (next to the wrench)
- Tap the layer icon to the left of the layer name to toggle visibility on and off