Despite thorough testing that occurs for each release of Avenza Maps, there are still some things that can occur that are outside of our control. The goal of this article is to help provide some of the most common issues we get requests for in Support, and the steps to resolve them quickly and easily. As with any issue, if the steps below don't help, or you are entirely sure what the issue is, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team using the contact form above!
Android: "You already own this item" error message
What it looks like:
Background: This error message occurs when you make a purchase in-app (could be for a map or subscription), and the internet cuts out during the purchase. Returning to the app, the map and/or subscription that you purchased is not there, and when you reselect it, you are given the error message "You already own this item" and can't do anything further.
Solution: This issue is unfortunately a Google Play Services issue. When the internet cuts out during the purchase the transaction details are stored within the Google Play Store cache and are separate from Avenza Maps at that point. Some things we have found that can help with this are: clearing the Google Play Store and Google Play Services app data (Settings > Apps > Google Play services or Google Play Store > Storage > Clear data/cache), as well as restarting your device. Please note that any paths to clearing data/cache may differ depending on your individual device.
Android/iOS: "Waiting to process" paused map download
What it looks like:
Background: This error message occurs when you attempt to import or download another map while another map is still attempting to process. You may see this message when you are downloading multiple maps or maps in a bundle from the Avenza Map Store. This is normal since the app will only process one map at a time and extract one map at a time. However, if you are importing another map at a later date and get this error message you likely have another map(s) that are stuck processing.
Solution: To fix this issue, please follow these steps:
- On the maps list (My Maps) delete all maps which have failed to download properly or seem "stuck", remember to check any folders or collections
- Ensure you have a strong/stable internet connection and sufficient storage space on your device
- Reimport the map(s) onto the device
Additionally, when you are downloading please make sure that you don't navigate away from the app, it won't always properly download if the app is in the background. Also, make sure that the screen doesn't turn off or shut down the device. It won't always properly download either if the screen turns off while the app is trying to process the data.
Android/iOS: Map Download Error
These errors can be caused by a number of things: switching devices, completed a device restore and the maps are not associated with your Avenza Maps account, login credentials that have expired, losing internet connection when the map is downloading, or exiting the app before the map download is complete.
Make sure you are logged into your Avenza Maps account and that you purchased your maps while being logged in to ensure they are associated with your account. If you or using an iOS device you can make map purchases without being logged into your Avenza Maps account, if you have done this you will need to send us your Local Purchase History so that we can get your map purchases associated with your Avenza Maps account.
- To send the Local Purchase History, please open the app and go to Settings > General > Debug Settings > Avenza Map Store Settings > Local Purchase History and email this information to email@example.com.
- Try logging out and logging back into the Avenza Maps app, this sometimes resets your maps and they will start downloading.
- Delete all maps that are failing to download from the My Maps page. Once all the maps have been deleted, click the head and shoulders icon at the top of the screen next to My Maps, click Download History and you should see all of your maps, you can proceed to download your maps from here.