This tutorial will explore the different features you can create using Avenza Maps, including creating a placemark and a route, and then how to use our navigation tools in conjunction with them.
Creating a Placemark
Creating a placemark is a great way to mark areas of interest that you would like to make note of. For example, they are a great way to mark campsites, workstations in the field, or places you want to visit.
1. Open the Banff National Park- Banff Area Day Hikes from the Banff National Park Bundle (Map Store Tutorial)
2. Move the map until the crosshairs are hovering over the lookout symbol on Mt Norquay Road
3. With the crosshairs hovering over the area of interest, press the ‘Add Placemark’ symbol next to the Coordinate Display
4. Name the placemark ‘Mt Norquay Lookout’
5. Click on the Edit option next to Symbol, change the symbol to an orange placemark
6. Click the checkmark in the upper right corner of the screen
7. You can edit the Placemark in the future by just selecting the placemark symbol, or by clicking on the Map Layers symbol to the right of the coordinate display
Creating a route and Navigating
This is a great tool for when you need to navigate along a customized route, like a hike or a road
It will begin navigating from where ever you are in the world, but you will see the compass come up showing the direction to head in
1. From here you can also edit the line style, add a description, or photos
2. Swipe up from the bottom of the map and select the Navigation tab
3. Select ‘Create a Route’
4. Place the Crosshairs over the Placemark created above and select ‘Add Point’
5. Move the map so the crosshairs are hovering over the parking icon at the base of trails 15 and 16 and select ‘Add point’ There will be a line drawn between the two points
6. Continue to add points to roughly trace Trail 15, then click the checkmark at the bottom of the screen
7. A window will pop up asking if you want to Navigate this route, select ok
8. Select ‘Stop’ to stop navigating and return to the regular map view
9. Select the layers button at the bottom of the screen to the right of the coordinate display
10. You should see the Placemark and the Line, Select Edit, highlight ‘Line 1’ and select the pencil icon at the top of the screen to start editing.
11. Rename the line ‘Mountain Route’
Navigate to Feature
There is another way to use the navigation tools, which is to navigate directly to the feature
1. Open the Navigation tab by swiping up from the bottom of the screen
2. Select ‘Navigate to Feature
3. Select the Mt Norquay Lookout from the list of features
4. The compass will show up showing the direction of the feature from wherever you are in the world.
Please sign in to leave a comment.