Users can import an unlimited number of their own maps, however, only 3 maps will be able to use the tools contained within Avenza Maps (location, placemark creation, tracking, etc.). Users without a subscription (Plus or Pro), will see two new map statuses introduced - Active and Inactive.
Active maps refer to those maps that can be used with the Avenza Maps toolset. In the event that you had more than 3 maps imported (non-map store maps), the first 3 imported maps are considered 'Active'. If a user does not have a Plus or Pro Subscription, they can delete an active imported map to make an additional import map active.
Inactive maps refer to those maps that cannot be used with the Avenza Maps toolset. This status occurs if you have more than 3 imported maps (non-map store maps), and do not have an active subscription (Plus or Pro). You will continue to be able to view these types of maps, as well as import them, however, you will not be able to locate yourself, create placemarks, or record tracks. If you have any Map Features (placemarks, tracks, etc.) on an Inactive map, you will be able to export these features, however, new features cannot be added until the map becomes Active. If you wish to have Inactive maps become Active, you will need to either purchase a subscription (Plus or Pro) to unlock the ability to use the Avenza tools with all maps or remove the currently Active maps to allow some Inactive maps to shift into Active status.
To Import a Map
On the My Maps screen, tap for our Android users, or for our iOS users, followed by "Download or import a map" to import a map. The maps will import to the current open folder if one is selected and open. You can import a map from any of the following sources and/or supported formats:
- Get a map from the store
- Request a map
- QR Code
- From Dropbox
- From Storage Locations
- Supported formats
Opens the Avenza Map Store where you can get free maps as well as purchase maps. Learn more about getting maps from the Map Store here.
This option will allow you to contact us and request a map not currently found in the map store. Please provide as much detail as possible about the desired map, and if you have a web link available for the map wanted, please provide that as well.
Avenza Maps features a built-in QR code reader that allows you to import maps by scanning QR codes displayed on signs, posters, maps or the web.
- Tap the QR Code icon in the top right corner.
- If this is the first time you are using the app, you will need to allow the app access to the device camera.
- Scan the QR code.
This option allows users to import directly from a linked Dropbox account.
- Tap From Dropbox
- If required, link Avenza Maps to your Dropbox account
- Navigate to the file you wish to import and select it
Users can import maps from any cloud storage app they have installed on their device. Since version 3.10, users who wish to import via Device Storage, will use this option as well.
- Tap From Storage Locations.
- Navigate to the app you'd like to import from (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.), or alternatively, navigate to the Device Storage location where your files are stored.
- Login if required.
- Tap the map you'd like to import.
Enter a custom URL scheme (avenzamaps://) to open the desired map file in the app. For example, add the prefix to a map in the following format:
After adding a prefix simply share the URL via email or message and click the link. The link will automatically open in Avenza Maps and the import of the map will begin. If the person opening the link does not have Avenza Maps installed, they will be prompted to install the app.
Please be aware that in order to force the direct download from some sources (e.g. Dropbox), the web address may need to be modified. Please contact Avenza Support using the contact form if you run into any problems.
Note: Some devices, carriers, and email clients do not support this format or have size restrictions.
In this demonstration, we will use the Gmail app, however, a similar workflow will work with other email apps.
Open the email that contains the map that you want to import into Avenza Maps. Click on the attachment, it should open up a window that looks like this screenshot:
If you aren't prompted to open with Avenza Maps, tap on "Use a different app" and select Avenza Maps. From there, it will automatically open the Avenza Maps app and import the map to the My Maps tab.
Avenza Maps supports the following formats for custom imported maps:
- Geospatial PDF (.pdf) - A PDF embedded with geographic information
- TerraGo GeoPDF (.pdf) - A PDF embedded with geographic information. GeoPDF is a proprietary format of TerraGo
- GeoTIFF (.tiff, .tif) - A GeoTIFF is a TIFF file embedded with geographic information
- JPG (.jpg) - A JPG is an image file that must be packaged with either a TFW & PRJ or JGW & WKT in a ZIP file
- Custom Scheme (avenzamaps://) - Creates a clickable link that can be shared via email, messaging, etc. and will automatically prompt Avenza Maps to open when clicked.