Getting maps on the Map Store is a simple three-step process:
1. Upload your Map: Click the "Add a New Map" button. As a new vendor without any maps, this button will appear in the middle of the page. If you already have a map uploaded, the button will instead be at the top-right of your map list.
Once you have clicked on the “Add a New Map” button, a dialogue will appear asking you to upload your map file. As well as uploading your file, you will need to check that you have read the terms of service and whether you want Avenza Maps to process your map in indexed colour mode, to reduce the file size.
After you proceed, you’ll be brought to the Edit Product page!
2. Edit the Map Details: After the map is uploaded, the map details page will load. This is the product listing information displayed to users in the Map Store. The following fields can be edited:
- Title: The title of the map displayed in the Map Store. Your title defaults to the file name, however, we recommend using a clear a concise title so users immediately understand your map’s location and purpose.
- Description: A summary of what the map displays, and why a user should download it. This section is limited to xxx characters.
- Languages: The languages that appear on the map.
- Publisher: The original creator of this map, can either be an individual or company name.
- Published: Publication date.
- Pricing: The purchase price of your map. All prices are listed in US Dollars (USD), however, the price will be automatically converted to each user’s local currency when they view the map in the Store.
- Hidden: When checked, the map will not be displayed to the public on the Map Store and will only be accessible via a URL; ideal for private maps.
- Categories: The type of map being added to the Map Store. All maps must have one primary category but can have multiple subcategories. Users can filter maps based on these categories, so it’s best to be as accurate as possible with your maps.
- Countries: The countries or continents covered by the map.
- Images and Previews: The preview images are generated by the server during processing and are what the user sees displayed on the Map Store. Custom preview images can also be loaded but must match the exact image size of the auto-generated images.
- Contents: The maps downloaded when a user purchases this listing. Map bundles will list all of the included products
While you fill this product listing information, the Map Store should begin processing your file. Your map will be in one of 4 *states*, Waiting, Processing, Finished or Error, and you can check the status of the process on the right side of the screen. Our servers can only process a few maps a time, so if many vendors upload maps at the same time, the maps wait in a queue, once a processing spot becomes available, your map will automatically move from Waiting to Processing. Maps typically process in under a minute, however, if your map has a large page or file size, this can take longer. Once the map finishes processing, either a green Finished message will appear, or a red Error message. If the map errors, you can check the error message, and reupload.
Please note that the Edit Product page does not automatically save changes, it is important to click Save Changes at the top of bottom of the page when you are finished.
3. Submit for Review: Once the map has been successfully processed and the product details have been populated and saved, it can be submitted for review. A map can be submitted by clicking the button on the right of the map details page, or by selecting it on the Maps page and selecting "Submit for Review" from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
Our Map Store team looks at every map submitted to Avenza Maps, including all their associated product listing information. Large volumes of submissions may occasionally extend the time frame in which our team is able to review maps, so please allow 1-2 business days for the review process to be completed. You can learn more about the Map Review process here *insert hyperlink*. If there is an urgent rush for your map, please email email@example.com. If a map is being submitted with a price that you have never charged for a map before, allow another 5-10 business days as this price point must be approved beforehand by Apple. This additional waiting period is only necessary once per price point. Any subsequent maps submitted at the same price will not have to undergo Apple’s approval process.
Once you have submitted your map for review, you’re finished! Once the map has been approved it will automatically become for sale in the Map Store!